Thursday, November 1, 2012

No bees in the rain

Honey bees. Rain. Not compatible.
Honey bees. Pesticides.  Killer!
I'd rather have the rain. 

Last year I was lucky to get to place my hand inside a warm, electric swarm of honey bees. I was jazzed.
I've never had the chance to be close to a swarm. And being invited to reach inside was the chance of a lifetime. Those bees didn't care if I was there.  They were intent on a purpose: starting another hive. The feeling of that hot, buzzing, crawling ball of movement is something I'll always remember.

Then, last fall, I heard a show on NPR about pesticides killing honey bees.  I've heard this before. .. as in WHERE HAVE THE BEES GONE? But, this time it hit me.  We're killing ourselves, not just the bees.  We're destroying the pollinators of the planet.  See the dvd, "Queen of the Sun"  http://www.queenofthesun.com/about/trailer/

I was inspired to do a series of paintings on honey bees.  I've finished the first of 7.  Here it is.


Detail of the bees. 





As I sat in my garden watching the bees in the borage and oregano flowers, I considered how afraid we are of them.  They mind their own business, but we squash them, poison them, and run from them.  Maybe we're just afraid of nature. Period. 

When I looked out my apartment window in August, I could see the 12' sunflowers, calendula, zinnias, and lupine. I've never painted and garden, but the colors just wouldn't leave me alone.  This piece isn't  finished, but I decided to post it anyway.  It's done with layers and layers of paint and oil pastels, and it's coming along slowly.  I thought I'd add bees, but I know that's overdoing it. I'll keep you posted when this one's done.



The "Pebbles" series is growing from earth colors into kid's crayon colors.  Here's one of the first ones. 


I'll keep you posted as work progresses.  Let me know if you want to keep up on the process. 
I'm in the thick of it!  I love it!  Hope you'll share your creative juices with me. 

Namaste, Gail 


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful composition and color Gail. Particularly love the bees! DB/ Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beee-yutiful. Ditto DB. Please splash some creative juices this way. Minkey

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW is under rated, but I needed to say it anyway. I love the work and the process you describe to us...
    Your creative bee juices are flowing up to Alaska! I am catching them and want to share in the fun!
    Cindy/Alaska

    ReplyDelete