Monday, January 7, 2013

New Year. New Day. New Moment.

Fullness.
Emptiness.
Questions I have today are emerging in paint and clay.
Photos here are about the juxtaposition of emptiness and fullness.  In my meditation practice, I experience emptiness as fullness. In the work the subject and ground are interchangeable.





If we're here, we assume we're present. Maybe not.  It seems we want to get to the NEXT thing, the NEXT idea, the NEXT connection.  For me, the deepest connection to  anything is stopping to find out what's here, not what comes NEXT.  It's not easy. This piece reminds me of the yin and yang symbol, although it's a flat picture plane with a floating dark form.  If you can enlarge the photo, you can see the sprout inside the dark, cold sphere.   It's part of a series of 5; 4 are on the table (in process now).


My dad told me it's better to be able to do many things than to do one thing well.  That question comes back when I find myself looking for descriptions of my work for the almighty Google search engine.  If I want more exposure, I need to describe what I do succinctly.  I have no clue.  I do many things.


My intention for 2013 is to paint from a place of deep connection to physical feelings and emotions.  Because my mom is becoming more frail each day, I have no idea where this will take me.  I want to be open and strong. 

The classes and workshops I offer are intended to give you tools to take your discovery practice farther.

You're invited to the next Acrylic Painting Lab ...... exploration in acrylic paint, collage, and watercolor as acrylic paint.  Where? in the community room here at Orchard Grove.  The next one is January 25, Friday, from 9:30-3:30.  You're invited to paint.  Register with you intent to show up at gailbakerartmaker@gmail.com.  $35 or pay what you will. 

 Painting in the Spirit of Helen Frankenthaler at Art East in downtown Issaquah on January 13, Sunday from 11-4. Go to http://arteast.org/2012/11/pt1-painting-spirit-of-frankenthaler/

Touch Drawing Full Moon on January 27, Sunday, from 5:30-8:30 pm at Gail's studio.  Silence, color, touch, sensation, vulnerability. Donation for materials welcome. All materials provided.    gailbakerartmaker@gmail.com    Soup and bread shared.



1 comment:

  1. I would love to attend Touch Drawing Full Moon!

    ReplyDelete